

Welcome to the wonderful world of food blogging. I'm really looking forward to reading your posts this semester, and to learn from and be entertained by you. I don't watch much television (I don't have time) but when I tune in it's usually to Food network (I tell my husband that I'm doing academic research for this class but he doesn't buy it). My favorite Food Network celebrity is Emeril Lagasse. I rarely attempt to duplicate his creations but I find him so entertaining (how many people do you know that cook accompanied by a live band?). I also love Rachel Ray; I love how she dishes up gourmet fare in less than 30 minutes. I often try her recipes, using my family as guinea pigs. They aren't very adventuresome so they are a tough crowd to please. Last, but by no means the least, I watch Iron Chef America; I find it amazing that the chefs can create such exotic and delicious dishes out of the most bizarre ingredients (I'm not sure that I believe that the unveiling of the secret ingredient is a surprise. How do the chefs know to bring squid ink or squash blossoms--both ingredients on last Sunday's challenge--if they don't have some prior knowledge of what they plan to cook?). Who could have anticipated that cooking would become a source of entertainment? I hope as we wade through this semester that you discover or simply realize the impact that what we eat exerts on our lives. I'm new to the wonderful world of blogging so please feel free to make suggestions, comments, challenges, and whatever! Have fun and bon appetite!
18 comments:
i too am a huge fan of the food network! very sad that i don't get it in the dorms. I'm a fan of the unwrapped show it is something special
I believe that cooking new foods is like somewhat of an experiment, and I love it. There are so many possibilities with food. It can bring joy or sorrow, a feeling of achievment or failure, when we are preparing it. That's why I suggest eating out.
I don't watch the Food Network. I really don't cook that much, but I probably should learn to do so. I am glad that you enjoy it, but I probably won't be watching any cooking shows anytime soon.
My favorite chefs are also those two. I like their personalities and excitement they bring to their shows. I love Food Network and their website is awesome.
I love the food network! Those are some of my favorite shows too, and "Unwrapped" and "The Secret Life of..." are really good.
I am a horrible and completely awful cook, okay maybe i'm not that bad. I can cook if you give me a recipe or if it deals with pasta...On the other hand, i am good at baking, even my experiments turn out pretty good. It's probably because i would rather eat something sweet and fattening rather than something healthy and well good for you.
I've only watched that show a couple of times, and I'd say that it's pretty good. I should probably watch it more though. I'm not that great of a cooker.
When you think about it, cooking shows are a pretty cruel concept. Viewers are introduced to the idea of these clever techniques and wonderful foods but can't enjoy them with any of their other senses. It's like showing someone sheet music but never playing it or trying to describe the texture of silk. You get to see the food but not smell it or taste it or even touch it. Depressing, really.
I am not much of a cook, but I love to bake!
If you read my blog you will understand that I am not much of a cook. I do like to eat though. Hopefully I will learn more while I am in college.
I'm very excited to see where this class is going to take us. I've never been in an English class where we talk about food. As far as the food channel goes, it' OK. For me it's one of those channels that I'll watch if there isn't anything else on. I don't hate the channel by any means it just doesn't peak my interest. But anyway, I'm super excited to see what happens.
I LOVE the food network. Unfortunately I don't get it in the dorms. However, my sister has it, so I go over to her house to watch Unwrapped and Good Eats, they are my favorite!
I have rarely watched the Food Network which probably explains my lack of cooking skills. I may need to tune into the channel more often if I ever want a chance at cooking something worth eating.
I am very much agreement that cooking can be an entertainment. I have this very distinct memory of being at my grandparents house during lunch time one winter evening in Denver. My brother and I had been playing in the snow all day and were very, very hungry. My grandma asked me what I would like to have for lunch. I told her Macaroni and Cheese. To my astonishment, she began to MAKE the noodles from scratch! It was like art..but with food! She really enjoys cooking and has always left that impression upon me.
I like food, but watching the Food Network isn't exactly my favorite form of entertainment. My family loves it though, so maybe I'll grow into it.
I think it would be so awesome to be considered a "great cook"! Not the kind that are on the food network show things, but just to have the talent of being able to throw a great tasting meal together from scratch and knowing what foods and spices compliment each other. I think it would be very fun and fulfilling.( ah hah, filling... its a pun, I guess. :)
I myself do not get to the TV that often, but i have heard a lot about Rachel Ray's show from my sister who owns her cookbook and enjoys using those recipes. I love to eat, but really need to learn to cook my own meals. I am so excited for this class and really hope to learn a lot about the "meaning" of food.
I never have gotten into the Food Network but just about my whole family can't stop watching. Creates for some awkward and disgusting meals...
Post a Comment