Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Pizza, Pizza, Pizza!


When I attended Greenwood Elementary I loved school lunch. The white garbed and hair-netted lunch ladies whipped up the best lunches! My favorite day of the month was pizza day. School lunch pizza was not the whimpy offering delivered by Caesar or the Hut. No! This culinary masterpiece was a 2 inch thick master piece of doughy bread, greasy hamburger, tomatoe sauce, and stringy cheese. Ambrosia!


Today my mature tastes prefer a thin crispy crust topped with tangy pesto, juicy dark chicken chunks, grilled sweet red onions, and flavorful crumbled gorgonzola. My favorite pizza repository is Citrus Grill, but Wasatch pizza also serves up a good pie. I also whip up a killer grilled version at home.


Do our tastes physically change as we age? Or do we just get more adventuresome? Or are we victims of changing food fads? I can see evidence of this—pesto pizzas were unknown in Utah in the 1960’s. On the other hand, my grandchildren are unadventurous connoisseurs preferring plain cheese pizza to the gourmet versions I love.


Last night on the food network program "Unwrapped" they visited a pizza test kitchen where 6 top notched chefs work to creat new pizza taste sensations. How many different versions do we need? On the other hand how sad would I be if I no one had invented my favorite Chicken Pest Pizza?


What is your favorite pizza? What's your favorite pizzeria? Have you noticed that your tastes change as you mature? Can you give some examples?

3 comments:

Kyle said...

I love all pizza, except for pizza that has spinach on it. Our tastes definitely change as we get older. While serving on my mission in Russia my tastes changed quite a bit. I found that I enjoy having mayonnaise in almost everything I eat. I like it in a lot of salads, and in pizza sauce.

Fishball said...

Hmmm... you present a most interesting quandary Professor. Do our tastes change as we age? Or do they change as we taste? Why choose to be adventurous when we can cop out of precarious culinary predicaments? I generally choose to avoid eating extreme pizzas. I actually am one of those unadventurous connoisseurs you referred to. I like cheese pizza. My favorite pizza is a simple frozen Tony's Pizza.

Adam said...

I think that are tastes do change as we age because of the maturation of taste receptors in the tongue. My favorite type of pizza is ham and sausage. I have noticed that my tastes have changed since I've gotten older. I don't mind tomatoes so much.